In the Spotlight
It’s natural – kids just seem to be drawn to animals and the outdoors. When children are young and eager for adventure, parents may be torn between keeping them safe and letting them explore the great outdoors. Consider the time-honoured childhood tradition of making mud pies, and the attraction many children have toward animals of all stripes. Read more
Soil contains a potent neurotoxin, Clostridium tetani, which can cause tetanus, and animals can carry rabies. Vaccination can help protect youngsters against these two potential, and thankfully rare, backyard hazards.
If your love for nature extends beyond your backyard, you may also travel outside of Canada, and whether you travel for business or pleasure, the last thing you want to worry about is staying healthy. Vacationing in Canada or abroad can carry some tiny but potentially severe health risks including regular and Zika-bearing mosquitos which are the most dangerous animals in the world, capable of spreading many disease-causing viruses and parasites.
Travelling is the time to unwind, spend quality time as a couple, as a family or with friends, to discover new landscapes and ways of life, to meet new people. Before packing your bags, inform yourself on the epidemics that may be going on in your destination country of choice, make sure your vaccination booklet is up to date and plan to visit a travel clinic. You can then safely get away for your new adventures without any nasty surprises!
The Vaccines411 team has chosen for you a short list of personal favorites that put the spotlight on staying safe outdoors all summer!
Articles of interest:
- Stay Safe this Summer – Reduce your risks for Zika and Tetanus Vaccines411
- Rabies - Awareness is your family’s best protection Vaccines411
- Travel Vaccines for a Healthy Vacation Vaccines411
- Free Admission Canada Parks 2017 Parks Canada is inviting Canadians and visitors from around the world to celebrate Canada’s 150th anniversary.
Top resources to keep you safe outdoors this summer:
- Travel Resources Vaccines411
- Beware of Mosquitoes Vaccines411
- Rabies Resources Vaccines411
- Tetanus and Diphtheria (Td) VaccineHealthLink BC
- What is ZIka Infographic World Health Organization