In the Spotlight
It’s summer and bugs are crawling everywhere! There are the ones that we can see like ticks and mosquitoes, and the ones that are invisible to the naked eye, but could be hidden in the air, soil and even in our furry friends. Although these bugs are tiny - even microscopic, make no mistake, they can pose a big threat.
That’s no reason to get bugged out and not enjoy the sunshine and fresh air! To help you stay healthy while exploring the beautiful outdoors, Vaccines411 has put the spotlight on Summer Bugs! and compiled a list of resources to help protect you and your loved ones from bugs that can threaten your summer fun. Check out our selected resources against mosquitoes, ticks that can carry Lyme disease, the rabies virus, tetanus and finally vaccine preventable diseases that have the potential to ruin your travel plans if you’re unprepared. When you’re done check out our summer infographics for fast facts and tips on how to protect yourselves.
- Risk of Lyme disease in Canada IAMAT
- Lyme Basics CanLyme (Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation)
- Learn about Lyme disease Public Health Agency of Canada
- Tick Identification Guide Tick Encounter
- Around the world: Tick-borne diseases IAMAT
For more tools to help protect you and your family from ticks, visit our Lyme disease resources page.
Beware of Mosquito Bites:
- Preventing mosquito bites CDC
- Mosquito-borne diseases World Health Organization
- About Japanese Encephalitis Vaccines411
- Insect bite prevention Public Health Agency of Canada
- Fact sheets: Zika World Health Organization
For more tools to help protect you against mosquito-borne diseases, visit our mosquito resources page.
- Rabies: OSH Answers Government of Canada
- Rabies - Awareness is your family’s best protection Vaccines411
- When should I seek medical attention? CDC
- Fact sheet on Rabies Public Health Agency of Canada
- 10 facts on rabies World Health Organization
For more tools to help protect you against rabies, visit our rabies resources page.
- About Tetanus CDC
- Beware of the bugs Valneva
- Protect Yourself Against Tetanus Immunize Canada
- Stay Safe This Summer - Reduce Your Risks For Zika And Tetanus Vaccines411
Visit our clinic finder to find a clinic finder near you that vaccinates against tetanus.
- Travel Advice and Advisories Public Health Agency of Canada
- Country Health Advice IAMAT
- Are your travel vaccines up-to-date? Vaccines411
- Travel-related diseases Public Health Agency of Canada
- Immunize app helps keep track of your travel vaccines CANImmunize
For more tips, articles and resources to help you stay healthy and informed during your travels, visit our travel resources page.
Top Summer Infographics:
Click on each infographic for a larger view.